26.7.09

Weird Style Icons....

Sorry to desert you for so long, blog fans (or fan; I'm pretty sure my mother still checks this) but I have been strutting my stuff on the streets of London.
Basically, that means I take the most amazing/expensive clothes that I own and give them their first outing in one of the most stylish cities in the world. A combination of good weather and the tube means that I come home and immediately wash the imaginary grime off the items (I'm a clean freak with a penchant for pale clothing to contrast with my 'rocker chick' jewelry and footwear), but when I step out of the house and pound the pavements of the swankiest neighbourhoods and stroll alongside the punks in Camden, it's worth the slight hassle of not being the type who swans around in Uggs and a hoodie. Fashion is effort. Fashion is pain.
Fashion is...weird. Because as usual with my pilgrimage to London, I went shopping. Just a little bit. Because I hate to say it, but I must. Oxford Street's Topshop is not what it used to be.
But it's still worth the trip there for the FANTASTIC shoe selection on the ground floor. I could have spent hours in there, thoroughly pissing off all the shop assistants while I tried on pair after pair of beautiful, beautiful shoes. But unfortunately, I was in a hurry. I was on a mission. I had to come back from London with a pair of shoes.
And weirdly, I was drawn straight to a pair. Well, two pairs. If only I could walk in one of them.
Aren't those babies beautiful? Maybe later...when it's stopped raining and I get paid...


So I had to settle for the other pair; these cute little boots. Part Peter Pan, part 80s throwback.


As I was trotting around in them, I couldn't help notice that they reminded me of the footwear worn by a certain red-haired 80s child icon in a certain iconic 80s coming-of-age film.
Oh yes. Molly Ringwald, my style icon.
Ever since watching it, I've been trawling vintage shops, and basically all shops, for a pink top just like hers. She made wraparound skirts look almost cool again. (Ok, maybe that's a little too far) Or maybe it's just the way it's all accessorised with that amazing red hair. She may be terribly conceited (or so says that annoying dweeb Brian, who to be honest is just naive) and do weird things with her lipstick, and we probably wouldn't want to know her in real life. But c'mon, she taked a packed SUSHI lunch to school! Not to mention sets the precedent of the princess dating the bad boy that got picked up by my favourite show not so long ago....
John and Claire.....to Chuck and Blair! True, every princess had a white knight, but even Claire and Blair needed a little bit more excitement than they got from a pair of Tiffany earrings....

But then again, the film's stars and their characters' styles demonstrate that the only way you can truly own a look is with the right attitude. Who ELSE could have got away with a brown wraparound skirt and huge flying jacket? (Yes, it was leather, but all I could think of was Biggles.) My next mission will be to attempt the kind of pirate-like scruffy yet fantastically cool outfit as worn by John Bender. I've got the boots. I could role down some red leg-warmers. I could find a checked shirt...I could get an ASBO...Ok, let's not get carried away.
After all, I am quite fond of my black Converse too.....

UPDATE - I now own those beautiful, beautiful black lace-up heels. Now the walking challenge begins....

No comments:

Post a Comment