8.1.10

Ch-ch-ch-checkin it out!

Sorry guys, I know that that song (if you know what it is, and if you don't you're so fortunate) will be stuck in your head for days now, but it was so fitting.
It's been a pretty standard month for my fashion magazine habit - Glamour is great but yet again disappoints with their cover star, Cosmo is just generally rubbish and I shouldn't buy it, Grazia will be fab but my subscription still hasn't arrived due to the snow, Vogue is refreshingly fresh in lilac, and Elle wins, as per usual, partly because it has Natalie Portman on the cover. Elle doubly wins this month's non-existant sweepstakes as it included a fashion supplement for SS10 that, well, wasn't dull.
Now don't get me wrong, I will have to be dragged kicking and screaming into half of the fashions in there (pastels. Oh God, pastels) but I was particularly intrigued by the excessive use of checks in Christopher 'Golden Boy' Kane's collection.


It's unmistakably Kane, whimsical yet somehow exuding attitude (probably due to the amount of lithe young flesh on show).
And then I was watching Project Runway (an episode where the contestants were challenged to make an outfit from grocery store products) and one contestant produced a dress out of teatowels. That looked like Kane's, except with more structure.
I'm still not sure what point I'm trying to make here. But it would seem that checks are back. I'm scared. I'm going to go and stare at pictures of Alexander McQueen's dresses that wouldn't look out of place swanning gracefully around on Pandora. (Avatar reference, natch. Wait, that's not how you use 'natch', is it? Oh who cares, have a pretty dress.)

Yeah, I'd be smiling too.

No comments:

Post a Comment