27.7.10

My name is RedHead and I'm a shopaholic

Yes fans. I've admitted it. Again.
I was reading an article in today's Grazia about the rise of the 'haul vlogger', a concept which functions rather like a continuous loop of that moment when you come out of the changing room and do a twirl, accompanied by oohs and ahhs of your appreciative girlfriends. This version, however, plays out in front of a growing horde of internet strangers hungry for a fashion fix, and who use appraising words like 'lush', 'hawt' and 'rocking it' to describe yet another black jumpsuit.
Reading this article, I was struck by the vocabulary, among other things. The designer diva, proud of her latest purchase of a pair of leopard-print £200 jeans, uses Sea-isms like 'snagged' and 'sourced', smug in the knowledge that her hardcore curation has amassed quite a collection. The high street honey also has an admirable selection of reasonably priced designer-a-likes. But it's the final girl who I most admire; the one who, like a masterful predatory shopper, spies her item, then bides her time. Will it work with my wardrobe? Do I need it? Can I afford it? Then, when all doubts are eliminated, she strikes.
I checked the Topshop website again today to see how many more of their aviator jackets had dropped. Two had. They were £295 each. They were all sold out. Who knows how long it took. Minutes? Hours? Days?
I also finally got around to watching Sherlock, a programme no doubt intended to fill the Dr Who-shaped hole in our lives and doing it admirably; a borderline autistic Sherlock is addicted to nicotine patches, talking to a human skull and with the Google maps function mainlined into his brain. Sherlock discerns every detail about a person from the first moment. So if he saw me, typing at my desk in my cosy room, what would he really see? My stuffed wardrobe, covered in pictures of the models and campaigns I find beautiful? A sad, childish collection of books? A few pictures and paintings? A general abundance of stuff, really.
For that is all these things we fritter our money away on are at the end of the day. These haul vloggers are pandering to their own desire, and the public's desire, for stuff, and to have the best stuff, the most stuff, the newest, chicest stuff. We can have it all; a new type of lipstick every week, takeaways, shopping delivered to our door. We want for nothing. But at the same time, having everything is never enough, because there's always more stuff to have.
I used to be of the opinion that all this fashiony stuff was a waste of time. I lived in jeans and t-shirts, climbed trees and had a boy's haircut. I was blissfully happy. I'm pretty sure that me is still hanging around. I've done a pretty good job of shutting her up with lots of clothes. But I'm not happy. I've spent far too much money on stuff I don't need. And I needed that money.
And so, once again, I'm giving up shopping. And I'm also planning on selling a lot of things, once I figure Ebay out. I'll link it when I start putting stuff up, but I'm a UK Size 10-12 and a Size 6-7 shoe. So watch this space...

3 comments:

  1. I wish more people would fritter their money away on my jewelry.

    I need money too, so I need people to spend money!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I had money to fritter away on Wendy B's jewelry! Wendy, I'm saving up for either the black onyx skull ring or the Marie Antoinette ring. Watch for my order in about 10 years.

    Red - Wishing you luck on the shopping stoppage. I'm on one myself. I've noticed that if I give myself a little leeway, limiting myself to $10 per week "shopping" allowance, I can stick to the ban and save that money for an amazing Westwood purchase (reward?) at the end of my 6-month ban.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Power to ya sister! and any other inspirational messages you can think of. I am of course doing the same thing and have now gon two whole days without shopping, which in my books is pretty out there.

    WE have to keep this posting up.

    Love Jojo xxxx

    ReplyDelete