14.11.10

The Cult

So I got home from work and a meeting (in Starbucks, where they were playing Christmas songs on a loop) to catch the end of X Factor. Not that I am remotely interested in which desperate wannabe is unfairly pushed into the spotlight, but it does interest me in the massive power of primetime tv these days.
It was timed nicely by the latest issue of Company hitting the stands, with the gorgeous Tiffany from BNTM posing on the cover. Normally I don't buy Company, and I deliberately avoided last month's issue due to the choice of cover girls, but this month I thought I'd give their generally amazing fashion spreads a chance to rectify the damage done by their choices of B-list celebrity cover girls.
Not so. I forgot about their 'celebrity' columnist.
There's something about the 'celebrity' column in a magazine that strikes a death-blow to a publication's credibility. Some celebrities, who are actually knowleadgable about a certain field (such as Lauren Laverne in Grazia) add something to the publication, but when a magazine merely provides a platform to further bolster the platform of pointless celebrity, no favours are done.
Company is currently employing the services of Jameela Jamil, who appears to be the new new Alexa Chung. Coltish, simpering, sweet and inoffensive, Miss Jamil is given a page in the magazine to talk about her life. A few weeks ago she used this space to talk about how a mean comment (I think it was relating to her cellulite) on Twitter made her feel, prompting a wave of supportive letters, praise and affirmation that to criticse Jameela is like kicking a sweet puppy with long eyelashes. This month's column features the troubles that she faces trying to convince her family that 'working in tv' is a real career. Now, I have no bearing on the attitudes of her family to her making a career out of standing at parties in short dresses chatting up musicians, or presumably talking about something young and B-list hip on tv (I honestly couldn't tell you anything about her career in tv), but....
Oh Jameela Jamil. Your life is so tough. You have joined a long line of moderately attractive teenagers plucked from obscurity to find fame, fortune and free fashion on T4. Your biggest problem is mean, resentful bitter people like me telling you that you have cellulite, when you clearly have no spare fat on your body to lodge uncomfortably. You admittedly are a fabulous ambassador for teenage girls struggling with body image, because as well as being massively successful and wealthy, you have to content with cameras adding ten pounds 24/7, but for a magazine aimed at women enjoying their 'freedom years' (which I think seems to eqaute to your twenties), you are way off the mark.
Most of us enjoying our freedom years aren't remotely free. Life is harder than it's ever been for us, and the little problems of someone who struck lucky based largely on looks really don't help us. Admittedly, Company's content is generally an espacists's dream, with tales of 'real' girls who give up jobs to strike lucky abroad, who are so much worse off than us due to horrendous illness or family tragedy, encouraging us to feel generally satisfied with our distinctly average lot, but I'm a little tired of hearing how fabulously hard the fabulous lives of others are.
As much as Jameela irritates me, though, it's not so much her I object to, more the amount of undeserved attention given to certain 'celebrities' nowadays. Unlike women and men with actual talent (singers, actors, experts in certain fields), and motivational stories of dedication yet, crucially, genuine humility, that can inspire us, certain people with a smidgen of talent at something and good genes appear to be elevated to the same level as those with incredible talent and work ethic. I bet that Katie Waissel has had more front page covers than any real female talent this year.
PS My rant is over. Here are my pretentious outfit shots.
I have to wear black, or dark colours, for work, and weirdly for someone who loves to wear black I find it oddly restrictive. But I do like this lace top. And curling my hair. I am a simple soul. Maybe I should pick some simpler idols.


No comments:

Post a Comment