19.1.11

Magpie

I'm mildly superstitious. Mildly into all that phoney mumbo-jumbo stuff. Reading horoscopes (and even with the supposed 'new' horoscopes, I'm still a Sagittarius), feel a little nervous walking under ladders and keeping an eye out for black cats.
And I salute magpies. Ever since I read about someone (I think it was Kelly Osborne, actually) doing that to avoid the old 'one for sorrow' saying. Even if I do see a single magpie, I keep my eyes peeled for two, three, or four. (Once I saw nine...not even sure what that means!) I can't tell if that's silly superstition because I feel that the second magpie will make it all better, because I think that by seeing the second one I can feel a little more secure in my chances, or because I'm an optimist. If I do see a single magpie, I quickly attach something I feel sad about to it, so I don't let it hang over me like a cloud.
But I think it's just me and that one lonely magpie right now, trying to keep aloft.

2 comments:

  1. You know what? I do exactly the same thing every time I see one I have to salute and utter the line "One for sorrow Mr Magpie, hows the wife and kids?" Its like my arm has its own magpie sensor and shoots up when one goes past. In all fairness it is weird that I feel instantly appeased of all anxiety once I've saluted, or see that lovely 'two for joy'.

    Sinner. X

    ReplyDelete
  2. One for sorrow, two for mirth,
    Three for a wedding, four for a birth,
    Five for silver, six for gold,
    Seven for a secret not to be told.
    Eight for heaven, nine for hell,
    And ten for the devil's own sel'.

    One for sorrow, two for joy;
    Three for a girl, four for a boy;
    Five for silver, six for gold;
    Seven for a secret, never to be told;
    Eight for a wish, nine for a kiss;
    Ten for a bird that's best to miss.

    Found 2 different versions of the poem online ages ago, thought you'd be interested :)

    ReplyDelete