26.9.12

A Night at The Emmys

I love me a good red carpet round-up. I especially love doing it for an awards ceremony at which one of my favourite TV shows gets big awards n stuff. No, not Downton Abbey (I must be the only person on the island who doesn't watch that) but Homeland! It's got spies! It's got intrigue! It's got a guy with a beard, a sexy ginger guy who lives round the corner from me (no lie, I've seen him walking around my area) and that lovely girl from Stage Beauty who is actually a phenomenally good actress. 
Claire Danes, 2012 Emmy Awards Red Carpet
And who also rocks the best piece of maternity-wear I've ever seen on the red carpet. Lovely Lanvin, and a stunning colour.
Julianne Moore, 2012 Emmy Awards Red Carpet
Speaking of yellow, I must be one of the few people talking about this who didn't think Julianne Moore looked terrible in her Christian Dior couture gown. Sure, it's not the MOST exciting/daring outfit (that award goes to Heidi 'High-Thigh-Flashing' Klum, with her dress split Jolie-at-the-Oscars-style in a move marked out as 'desperate divorcee' by that pillar of proper behaviour Liz Jones) but it's a great colour for her (I love a redhead in yellow) and it's not bad. It's just...well, lose the sleeves. 
Nicole Kidman, 2012 Emmy Awards Red Carpet
Now THIS I love - reminds me of a top I used to have as a teenager with a sparkling picture of a Chinese dragon printed on it. Loved that top. Wore it to Girl Guides once and got told off. Knew then I was set to break style boundaries. Nicole's Antonio Berardi dress didn't get much love from the critics either (and I STILL miss her red hair) but I like it - simple and sophisticated but with a bit of punch.
Emilia Clarke, 2012 Emmy Awards Red Carpet
Another member of the 'white dress with a bit of punch' crowd is Game of Thrones star Emilia Clarke (who I totally didn't recognise with dark hair, wearing clothes and not covered in dragons). This is Chanel and it's lovely, though she does look a tad uncomfortable. Maybe it's the shoes. Or the lack of dragons. 
Zooey Deschanel, 2012 Emmy Awards Red Carpet
Oh Zooey. You are so kooky and adorable. Like a little floaty princess in your Reem Acra fairy dress. It is a beautiful dress, I'll give it that. I do love me some ice queen blue. And Zooey actually manages to look fairly sensible in it. I think it's the lack of kooky hair accessories and tambourine. 
Christina Hendricks, 2012 Emmy Awards Red Carpet
PHWOAR that is all. Nice to see Christina letting her hair loose for once and letting her fabulous hair and fabulous shape do the talking in an otherwise nondescript but beautifully cut Christian Siriano dress, that does the near-magical trick of making her ample bust look incredible but not remotely OTT. The bias-cut drape across the hips and the artful ruffle detailing of the fabric keeps the dress interesting while keeping a beautiful shape to it. If only it came in red. And had a less budget-looking belt.
Lucy Liu, 2012 Emmy Awards Red Carpet
Another out-and-out stunning piece of figure-flattery, this time on Lucy Liu. It's Versace and it makes me want to party like it's 1999. 
Kiernan Shipka, 2012 Emmy Awards Red Carpet
Speaking of 1999, how lovely does cute-as-a-button Mad Men star Kiernan Shipka look in her custom-made Zac Posen gown? Lovely drop waist, lovely colour(s) and gorgeous cut. I do love a boat neck. 
Ginnifer Goodwin, 2012 Emmy Awards Red Carpet
One star who acts cute but deliberately doesn't dress it is Once Upon A Time star Ginnifer Godwin, who once again brings the high fashion fierce to the red carpet in Monique L'huillier. 
January Jones, 2012 Emmy Awards Red Carpet
Ginnifer is rivaled in the fash-off stakes by the ever-dramatic January Jones, matching her on-screen daughter in Zac Posen. While I loathe her on-screen (as charisma-free Emma Frost in X-men and bratty Betty Draper-Francis) I love her style. 
Michelle Dockery, 2012 Emmy Awards Red Carpet
Similarly, while I have very little interest in Downton, I am in love with its star Michelle Dockery (in Louis Vuitton). That skin! That hair! That jaw! That perfect, perfect breeding! She's the new Gemma Arterton and I just adore her. 
Kelly Osbourne, 2012 Emmy Awards Red Carpet
But while Claire and Michelle made valiant attempts to be my best dressed pick of the night, that award has to go to Kelly Osborne, in flavour-of-the-night Zac Posen. Matching your gown to your hair? So on-trend berry lips? General nonchalance? Looking this good after that shaky start as a teenage emo with an embarassing family? The Osborne kids have turned into upstanding and reputable adults, and I am constantly wowed by Kelly's high fashion style with a bravery that stays true to her rocker roots. Top marks. 

(All images via Stylist)

No comments:

Post a Comment